Lent and Easter at Saint Mark
Ash Wednesday, February 13, marks the beginning of the season of Lent, the forty-day season leading up to Easter day and the Easter season. Because the church considers every Sunday to be a little Easter, Sundays are not counted as part of the forty days and instead are referred to as “Sundays in Lent.”
During Lent, ancient Christians mourned and repented of their sins, so it was appropriate for them to show their sincerity by having ashes on their foreheads. This custom has persisted in the church as secular society has changed around us and is most appropriate on Ash Wednesday, when we begin a period of sober reflection, self-examination, and spiritual redirection.
Lent is a season of encounter with Christ, of instruction, initiation, and growth as a church in common life and ministry. It is a “time for putting aside the sins and failures of the past in light of who we are yet to become by the grace of God.” Many people give up something for Lent as a spiritual practice/discipline. You might also consider taking on a new practice as a means of getting closer to God. Lent is a deep, rich time in which we prepare for the Easter season.
Calendar of Events
Ash Wednesday, February 13
- Imposition of Ashes, noon, in the Santuary
- Dinner, 6 pm, in Wade Hall
- Worship Service & Imposition of Ashes, 7 pm, in the Sanctuary
Passion / Palm Sunday, March 24
- Gabriel Fauré's Requiem, featuring the Chancel Choir, director Amy Holloway, organist Daniel C. Cherrix, and harpist Ellen Heinicke Foster
- during both morning worship services
Monday, March 25, through Good Friday, March 29
- Holy Week Meditation: A self-guided meditation will be available in the sanctuary. You are invited to come during the week to take advantage of this quiet, reflective experience. Participants can pick up a booklet that will lead them through each station.
- For more information, contact Rev. Mandy Flemming.
NO Wednesday Fellowship Dinner, Wednesday, March 27
- NO dinner or program is scheduled due to the Maundy Thursday meal and worship service on March 28
Maundy Thursday, March 28
- A worship service will be held at 7pm in the Sanctuary, following a simple meal at 6 pm in Wade Hall offered
- This dinner is in place of our usual Wednesday Fellowship Dinner.
- Contact Christia in the church office to make your reservation.
Good Friday, March 29
- A labyrinth will be on the front lawn from 11am - 6pm (weather permitting)
- A service of prayer, silence, and meditation, noon
- A Tenebrae service, 7pm, in the anctuary
Children’s Easter Egg Hunt, Saturday, March 30
- 10 am - noon, at McKoy Park in Decatur
- Please consider donating candy (no chocolate please) or money for the eggs and candy. You can drop off your donation by March 24in the children's wing or in the Narthex.
Easter Sunday, March 31
- Sunrise service, 7 am, on the front steps of the Sanctuary, led by Rev. Phillip Thomason
- Rev. Dr. Beth LaRocca-Pitts will be preaching at the 9:00 am and the 11:15 am worship services
- Holy Communion will be served at the 7:00 am, 9:00 am and the 11:15 am worship services
- Please bring flowers to church Easter Sunday to decorate the cross
- Easter Brunch - details below
Resources & Opportunities
Lenten Devotional Guide - daily devotionals written by members of the Saint Mark congregation
Easter Mission Offering
One way the risen Christ's light and hope is made available to many in our community and beyond is our Easter Mission offering here at Saint Mark. There are places where the burdens of hunger, disease, and homelessness threaten to dim the "Light of the World." It is in these places that Saint Mark has committed to proclaiming the good news of Jesus' resurrection. Our church, the place that we all call home, continues to be committed to bring the Light of Christ to a world in need, It Is through your generous gifts that we are able to feed those that are hungry, provide a safe, loving environment for women and children escaping violence and provide for children who need that extra push for school to be a success. Saint Mark has for many years shared their love and concern for people living with HIV/AIDS and continues to be involved in the lives of those still struggling today. Your hands, through your gifts, are all over this city ... touching, laughing, feeding, providing shelter and medical care to those in need.
Make Your Easter Brunch Reservations Now!
Join us for Easter Brunch catered by Brown Bag Bistro on Easter Sunday, March 31! Cost is $20 / adults and $17 / seniors or students. 2 seatings will be offered at 11am and again at 12:30pm.
The menu includes:
- sausage and egg casserole
- broccoli and three cheese quiche
- cinnamon roll bread pudding
- assorted muffins, bread, and rolls
- fruit salad
- Caesar salad
- macaroni and cheese
- roasted beef tenderloin and pork loin
- glazed ham
- twice baked potatoes
- mashed sweet potatoes
- roasted green beans
- grilled squash with mushrooms
- and assorted desserts
Lilies will decorate the Sanctuary on Easter Sunday, March 31. You can place a lily in honor or in memory of a loved one. Click here to order and securely pay online for a lily for the sanctuary. Deadline to place order is Wednesday, March 27.